YsMen logo

Y Service Clubs International – U.S. Area

The Brother Club programme joins in partnership clubs located in different countries for their mutual benefit and better understanding. It is designed to assist fellow Y’s Men and Women and their families to learn about and exchange ideas between clubs, whether they are just over the border or right across the world. Y’s Women’s clubs may prefer to use the term “Sister Club.”

When can a Club have a Brother Club?

As soon as you are ready. New clubs are now invited by the International Service Director (ISD) to consider this exciting and rewarding programme by their first birthday. Your Regional Service Director (RSD) for International Brother Clubs will contact every club each year in September asking for applications.

However, you are welcome to apply at any time for a Brother Club.

How can a Club join the Programme?

Step 1 – Application forms for a Brother Club are available from your RSD for International Brother Clubs.

Step 2 – If a club already has a partnership in mind, fill out a form and send it directly to the club involved. Please inform the Regional and Area Service Directors.

Step 3 – If a club wants to form a relationship with any club, send your request to your RSD for International Brother Clubs. State clearly the reasons and in which Area and/or Region you would like a Brother Club. Your Area Service Director (ASD) receives your request, and then sends it on to the relevant Area/Region for action. A copy goes to the ISD.

What happens next?

  • Once the Brother Club relationship is established, ask your ASD to mail you the certificates available to formalise the special occasion.
  • The Club President fills in and signs the two certificates and sends them to the partner Club President for signing.
  • The certificates are forwarded to the ISD for signing and both clubs then receive a copy. The relationship is registered in the directory.

How the Programme works

  • Plan a programme involving as many members as possible.
  • Keep in touch regularly.
  • Report activities regularly to your club and share all contacts and exchanges with club members. Your International Service Director and team are interested in every partnership in YMI. Your successful relationship can help inspire other clubs.
  • Learn as much as possible about your Brother Club.
  • Correspondence alone will get tedious. Try new ideas to keep the relationship fresh and interesting.

What Communication Ideas can be used?


Good communication is essential for successful Brother Club relationships.

Projects: When Brother Clubs are cooperate in projects, the Brother Club relationship becomes really meaningful.

Letters and Emails: the easiest way.

Postcards: to your Brother Club from your Conventions signed by all the participants from your club. 

Photos & Videos: Photograph or Video your club in action – a meeting night, projects.

Exchange: Club bulletins and YMCA publications, journals, stamps, magazines, newspapers, small gifts, season’s greetings, birthday and  anniversary greetings, etc.

Newspaper Cuttings: items relating to the country of your Brother Club.

Telecommunications: For that very special occasion, phoneInvolve as many members as possible from both clubs at the time of the call.


Follow-up Activities


Encourage members of each club with similar vocations or professions to exchange ideas and experiences. Travellers abroad, try to arrange a visit to the Brother Club. This can be a wonderful stimulus for all involved.


Can a Club choose its own Brother Club?


Certainly. Whenever possible, the Area or International Service Director will grant your request providing that your preferred club accepts and responds to you. However, sometimes language difficulties create a problem in accepting the invitation. In this case, patience is important. The Brother Club Directors will try to fulfil your request with a compatible club in the Area you requested.


Can a Club have more than one Brother Club?


Yes. If a club has successfully maintained its Brother Club relationship, then that club can have as many Brother Clubs as it wants. However, one successful partnership is preferable to two or more haphazard relationships.


Brother Club Triangles


This is when two Brother Clubs invite a third club into their partnership. Such a Triangle opens up new and challenging perspectives:

  • Two of the Brother Clubs may be geographically close enough to meet once a year while the third Club could be farther way, perhaps in a “developing” country.
  • Three Clubs could run a project together. Two clubs from “developed” countries could financially support a local project selected and monitored by the Brother Club in the “developing” country.
  • Three Clubs in neighbouring countries link together as Brother Clubs to learn about one another’s cultures and experiences.



Brother Club Quadrangles

Triangle Club relationships have now been extended to include a fourth partner, linking clubs around the world. What a wonderful way to strengthen the bonds of fellowship, to broaden our outlook, to share and care!

Alexander Scholarship Fund

The Alexander Scholarship Fund, otherwise known as ASF, was named after the founder of the Y’s Men Movement, Judge Paul William Alexander. The programme was called the Paul William Alexander Scholarship Fund (PWASF) until 1982 when the name was changed to Alexander Scholarship Fund.

ASF started in 1954, at the Y’s Men’s International Convention in Lansing, Michigan. Money had been collected to have a famous painter do a portrait of Judge Paul. He felt it was a waste, but agreed to sit for a renowned photographer at a lesser cost. Left-over monies amounting to about US$ 900 started this programme of Y’s Men International.

ASF at first was administered centrally through the International Service Director (ISD) on the recommendations received from Area Service Directors (ASDs). Later the administration of the Fund shifted to the Areas. Each Area is expected to raise its own funds to meet the various requests from candidates who satisfy the conditions established by the Area. This also places the onus on each Area to raise sufficient funds in order to meet the ever-increasing number of requests from candidates.

Alexander Scholarship Fund Emphasis – November 2018


Just 10% of funds raised for ASF are sent to IHQ. The remaining 90% stays in your own country/Region for local use.


• International President’s 2018/19 target (10%): CHF 11,250. Let’s beat that!

• Average yearly contribution since 2013 (10%): CHF 10,156. Let’s beat that!

• Highest yearly contribution since 2013 (10%): CHF 13,015. Let’s beat that!

• Can we raise CHF 15,000 this year – for an International ASF total of CHF 150,000? Yes, we can!


The purpose of ASF is to promote the training of YMCA staff and/or those seeking to become YMCA staff members. Its aim is to alleviate the desperate shortage of YMCA professionals by;

(a) Encouraging young people in the various countries to take on this responsibility and
(b) Making financial contributions towards their training.

Who Benefits from ASF?

  • Persons already employed by the YMCA who need a grant to increase their training and proficiency.
  • YMCAs seeking trained staff.
  • YMCA members who are better served by professionally-trained leadership.



Allocation of Funds

90% of all money collected is retained at the  local level (country or Region) and the remaining 10% is passed on to IHQ for allocation at international level. Since 1996, ASF international grants are no longer given to individuals but to the YMCA Area organisations for training purposes as they think fit.




Each Club is urged to promote some fund-raising project specifically for ASF. Some clubs take money from their general project funds.

Regional Conventions sponsor special activities or projects to bring in money. Fines are a fun source of income. Districts may celebrate an ASF DAY together with  some money raising activity.

Donate to The The Brother Club Fund